Monday, July 18, 2011

Real Mom gets Real Muddy

Well after I have done my 4th 5K a friend of mine approached me to do the mud run at Irvine Lake with her a couple of weeks ago.    So feeling very cocky I said yes.  I was a little excited a little anxious and basically couldn't wait to see what was going to happen.

It was more of a "bucket list" kind of thing that I wanted to do and just see if I could finish.  It was almost a 4 mile course of heavy terrain.  2 ass kicking butt burning bring me to respiratory distress hills and 20 mud pits and obstacles.  So what 43 year old former fat girl, cancer survivor,  mother of 2 wouldn't jump at the opportunity to humiliate herself in front of thousands of people.   But I didn't embarrass myself too much,  I finished the course in 1 hour 10 minutes and walked about a mile of the course.  It was 90 degrees and I learned a lot about my running and how much of a true novice I am and how much I need to work on.

But the fun parts of the day were just actually getting dirty.  I mean really, when do we as moms working or at home just get to get dirty and laugh about it?   After 3 showers I think I finally got all the mud and pebbles out of my butt crack.  One of the obstacles was crawling throw a pipe under a bridge in the mud, and the only vision I had in my head was Tim Robbins in Shawshank Redemption escaping from jail crawling through human excrement - well it made me crawl through there really really fast.  My favorite part of the course was the down hill slip n' slide.  You have to do everything once - right???? So I went diving down hill head first - having a blast.

I got up to this wall to climb up and over and started laughing I was by myself with this pack of 8 guys who were US Marines coming up behind me and they lifted and helped my fat ass over that wall like I was one of them.  So that got me going again and I was running to the end of the course and saw my friend Cheryl and her husband cheering me on and that always helps to have a rooting section.

Cheryl has run several half marathons and was about 10 minutes a head of me.  So I left the race proud that a 43 year old chubster finished this course that was really tough.  I learned that I breath really hard, I guess I don't notice that because of my headphones, it was getting on my nerves.

Now after you finish running and crawling through mud puddles and sliding down hills.  You have to get clean before you get in your car.  I did donate my shoes at the end of the event.  Rather than opt for the mile long line for a shower we scooted over to the high pressure hose off from a fire truck.  It did the job much faster, and then we changed our clothes surfer style wrapped in a beach towel.

All in all, I had a great time, I would do it again.  In fact September 10 there is a Stand up to Cancer event that is a mud run and we signed up to do it.  I do need to work on my fitness and nutrition that was very evident to me after this event, today I am incredibly sore.  So I've gotten comfortable with my workouts and now it's time to kick them up a notch and fuel my body better.

But my favorite part of the day was know that this is something a Real Mom would do for fun, this was something that would kick the shit out of a Real Housewife, their false eyelashes might come off.







Rebecca

1 comment:

  1. amazing as always! are you going to post the pics on FB so we can see them better? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete